It's a simple tool, but don't let that fool you...
SWOT analysis is a very powerful way of analysing your next role and building your career.
If you have identified a potential next step in your career that is aligned to your preferences, you can carry out this self analysis to help you identify if it is the right move for you and how well placed you are to take up that opportunity should it arise.
· What have you achieved?
· What are you good at?
· What knowledge, skills, experience and qualifications do you have?
· What are your personal qualities?
· Do you lack knowledge, skills or qualifications?
· Do you lack work experience?
· What personal qualities would you need to develop?
· What do you not enjoy doing?
· Are there any vacancies for the role?
· Who can you speak to in order to gather more information about the role?
· Is there an opportunity for you to ‘sample’ the role?
· How can you undertake any learning and development required?
· Would there be a ‘negative’ impact on your personal circumstances, e.g. time, family etc.?
· Is the role aligned to your true values and preferences?
· Who might you be competing with?
· Are there any requirements you can't meet, e.g. flexibility for travel, working patterns etc?
And remember the key actions following a SWOT analysis:
Capitalise on your STRENGTHS
Turn WEAKNESSES in to STRENGTH
Reduce the likelihood of THREATS